Skip to main content
North Reddish Primary School Collection
North Reddish Primary School Collection
North Reddish Primary and Junior School1886-1994
Find it!
The collection contains various types of records including newspaper articles, letters, photos and illustrations, memoirs, official documents relating to World War One, and misc. items. The collection was formed c. 1992, however, items date from 1886-1994. The geographical extent of the collection is the village of Reddish, Cheshire.
North Reddish Primary School Collection
Date of work:
Reference number:
Level of description:
Type of materials:
Graphic materialsTextual material
Custodial history:
"North Reddish council school was located on Denstone Road, Stockport. The school was built as a council school in 1907 to supplement the church schools in the area as the local population grew. Although the school was built in 1907, it did not open until 1916 because the buildings were used a military hospital during the First World War. The school became North Reddish Infant School and North Reddish Junior School, and continued on the same site until 2011. In 2011 North Reddish Infant School, North Reddish Junior School and Fir Tree Primary School amalgamated to form Vale View Primary School. To provide secondary education in Reddish, Reddish Vale Secondary Modern School was opened in 1952, on the site of the farm which replaced Reddish Hall. The first headmaster, Mr Griffiths, stayed from 1945 to 1965. In 1987 the school became a Comprehensive and then a Technical College in 1995.Miss Isabel Whittall was born 8 Apr 1892, to George and Alice Whittall. Isabel moved to Reddish in April 1894. In 1911 Isabel is 19, and an elementary school teacher. It is likely she taught at North Reddish Primary school for her whole career as she lived in Reddish for the whole if her working life. Letters from the collection suggests she was a loved teacher at the school. Miss Whittall lived at Clifton House, Heaton Moor, and Ansdell Grove in Reddish. She celebrated her 100th birthday in 1992.Frank Aspinall was born 2 June 1908 in Reddish to John and Annie Aspinall. Frank went to school at North Reddish Council School and continued to live and work in Reddish. Frank was a chimney sweep and gardener but was best known as ‘Mr Football’. He was the manager of Westbourne Rangers (Reddish and District Junior League) and was a scout for Stockport County for many years. For a time Frank managed six teams at once, including Vale Road Juniors from 1941-1947. He was an ‘unofficial uncle to every boy he came across and always shad a prize for any competition in the district’. Frank died in 1985.William Russell Fox was born in 1907 in Cheadle, Cheshire to John and Ada Fox. William married Edith Elizabeth Marsh in 1933 at Reddish Green Methodist Church. Edith and William were made Mayor and Mayoress of Stockport in 1955-56. He was an active member of the community and was Chairmen of Stockport Waterworks committee amongst many other roles. William Russell Fox died in [1981] and Edith Elizabeth Fox died in [1994].
The collection was in a disorganised state and it was no longer possible to discern an original order. The collection has been arranged by subject matter i.e., Mayoral records, Miss Whittall, Frank Aspinall, World War in Reddish, Mayoral Records, and the local history of Reddish. It was common each Sub-fonds had a common set of series, therefore subject matter was arranged by document type i.e. memoirs, photos, newspaper cuttings, letters, and misc. Series are arranged into file or item, these are arranged in chronological order.
Finding aids note:
Digital catalogue.
The items in the collection were collated for the 'Museum of Reddish', at North Reddish Primary School in [1992]. The history teacher Kevin Chappell made an appeal in the Reddish Reporter for information about the history of Reddish to be donated to the school or to be sent to Ted Duncan, a reporter at the paper and ex-pupil of the school. The collection contains items various items of a range of dates and subjects. The collection includes items about the life of Miss Whittall and her memoirs possibly written for the Reddish Reporter, which were published for two years 1988-1990. Part of the collection is about Frank Aspinall. Items about this popular Reddish resident were presumably sent to Ted Duncan or the school and collated for the Museum. Mayoral Records from 1955-1956, in the form of three albums and a file of photographs. These records are about William Russell Fox and his wife Edith, it is unknown who donated the records to the collection.. There are items concerning the history of Reddish and in particular war time in Reddish. It is largely unknown who donated these items, however, some items are named. Ted Duncan, Arnold Worthington, Amy Mitchell, Stockport Express, and the Stockport Advertiser contributed some of the items in this collection. It is unknown when or the duration of the 'Museum of Reddish' was exhibited for. The collection was donated Stockport Local Heritage Library, when North Reddish Primary and Junior School closed in 2011.
Access restrictions:
Use restrictions:
Record number:
Find it!