Skip to main content
Sale Catalogue for Oakwood Hall, Romiley
Sale Catalogue for Oakwood Hall, Romiley
September 1907
Archives
Find it!
Sale Catalogue for the sale of Oakwood Hall and other properties including Hyde Bank Farm, Marple Dale Farm and Seven yearly chief rents and six leased ground rents. The auction was held by Mr W.H. Robinson by order of the Court- Mr Justice Neveille, High court of Justice by court order dated 11th June 1907. In the matter of the Trusts and Will of Ephraim Hallam (former owner of the property), between Robert Neill, Walter Bright Hodgkinson and John Edward Malinday and His Majesty’s attorney-general, William Johnson and Margaret Seville (Spinster) and Reginald Buckley. Auction held at the Thatched House Hotel Manchester Tues, 10th September 1907, at 4pm in 15 lots. The auction was sanctioned by William Johnston Solicitor, Vernon Street, Stockport and printed by Guardian General printing.The catalogue includes plans of the ground rents for sale in Romiley on properties near Kimberley Avenue, Colborne Avenue, Church Lane and Beech Lane and Hyde Bank Lane. Also includes photographs of Oakwood Hall and views from the hall, conditions of sale and a plan of Oakwood Hall .
Title:
Sale Catalogue for Oakwood Hall, Romiley
Date of work:
September 1907
Reference number:
D2053
Level of description:
Item
Type of materials:
Graphic materialsTextual material
Custodial history:
Prior to donation, this auction booklet was kept by the Fogg family who were relatives of Ephraim Hallam, the former owner of Oakwood Hall. Oakwood Hall was a Tudor revival house designed for Ormerod Heyworth by Edward Walters, architect in 1845.The land on which the house was built was bought by Ephraim Hallam in the 1840s,the land was part of the Hyde Bank Hall estate. Hallam leased off part of the Hyde Bank estate to Omerod Heyworth, who then built the house. Hallam was a wealthy cotton manufacturer (owner of Hallam Mill in Heaviley) and Alderman of Stockport. He also had close connections with Stockport Grammar School and made several bequests to local charitable causes.In 1857 Hallam divided Hyde Bank Hall into two properties to create Hyde Bank House and Hyde Bank Farm. Hallam lived in Hyde Bank Hall until his death in 1895, Hyde Bank House was sold to William Lancaster and the rest of Hallam estate including Oakwood Hall was sold. The building owned by a Captain Lonsdale, in 1944 before it was acquired by the Home Office and run by the Church Penitentiary Association as an approved school for girls. (For more information on Oakwood Hall see our folders)
Access restrictions:
Unrestricted
Use restrictions:
Unrestricted
Language:
English
Record number:
6816075
Find it!
0